Hello everyone! Yes it is early November, but now that Halloween has passed, if you’re like me you are getting into full Christmas prep mode. One part of Christmas that we love is the wide variety of Advent calendars! if you’re looking for a no-candy, no-toy, no-“stuff” (because Christmas is at the end of this countdown), why not consider a daily activity advent calendar? Get into the Christmas spirit by doing a special activity together as a family each day!
Here are my top tips:
- Don’t make every day an elaborate activity: on paper, the month will look amazing but remember holiday burnout is real and it will kick your butt if you go too hard all month. Make sure you plan a reasonable amount of low-key activities (whatever amount makes sense for you family) and save yourself from the stress. You also don’t want to give up partway through the month because you are too exhausted.
- Don’t break the bank: the holidays can already put such a strain on your wallet between gifts, holiday foods and all of the extras that come up during this time of year. Look around your house and build a bunch of the activities from things you already have.
- Don’t expect perfection: we as parents want to create perfect and special moments for our kids but realistically, the holidays are exhausting and overwhelming for a lot of kids. There may be activities that you planned and prepped (and potentially spent a lot of money on) that your kids may not be as excited about as you are and that’s okay. Maybe the weather is a bit colder than you were hoping for or your youngest just didn’t get a good sleep last night, just remember – kids don’t care if you’re perfect.
- Have some backup plans: for any variety of reasons you original plan for the day might have to be cancelled – the weather doesn’t cooperate, someone is sick, the event you had tickets to has been cancelled or no one is in the mood to leave the house, have a few activities reserved for backups so you aren’t scrambling or skipping days.
- Pre-prep crafts in advance: if you’ve chosen to do any crafts during this time, it’s easier to have them prepared ahead of time so there isn’t a waiting period for your kids after you’ve announced the day’s activity. I used to do Story Time at a library before having G and craft prepping is my jam!
- Have fun! you chose to do an activity advent for a reason right? Now jump in and have an amazing holiday season making wonderful memories with your kids!
Here are 50 ideas to get you started (printables at the bottom of the page)
|Christmas movie marathon||Christmas music dance party|
|Decorate the tree||Make Christmas cards|
|Mail Christmas cards||Food Bank donation|
|Christmas crafts||Christmas baking|
|Bird seed ornaments||Letters to Santa|
|Build a snowman||Make an Elf Yourself video|
|Christmas Lights in your neighbourhood||Christmas Festivals|
|Sing Christmas Carols||Christmas Party|
|Christmas Eve Traditions||Ugly Christmas Sweaters|
|Make Christmas slime||Cinnamon Ornaments|
|Make hot chocolate||Make your own wrapping paper|
|Wrap presents||Create a special Christmas-y drink|
|Family Game Night||Red and Green Colour Sorting|
|Silly Christmas-y Pictures||Pictures with Santa|
|Record a family video||Bring back past family traditions|
|Eat Candy Canes||Gingerbread houses|
|Christmas colouring sheets||Go Tobogganing/sliding|
|Go skating||Facetime a far away relative|
|Painter’s Tape Christmas Tree||Santa’s Magic Milk|
|Rudolph Races||Christmas sensory activities|
|Peppermint Playdough||Make a fort – add Christmas lights|
|Glow sticks in the dark||Decorate windows and mirrors|
|Jingle Bell Activities||Snow volcano|
|Snow painting||Snowy Scavenger Hunt|
|Ice Ornaments||Reindeer Food|
You can download a printable list here:
And a blank calendar to plan everything out here:
What do YOU love to do with your kids over the holiday season? Let me know in the comments!
Until nest time,
Sign up for my newsletter here and don’t miss an update!
*Affiliate Link* Want to see what products we love the most? Check out my Amazon Storefront
Sign up for a Caddle account and we both get $1
Sign up for Field Agent (Secret Shopping App) that pays you to upload receipts and do tasks in store